Karen Eriksen, Ph.D.
As founder and CEO of the Eriksen Institute, Dr. Eriksen promotes
Conscious and Reflective Leadership - a whole person approach to:
- Inspiring people toward optimal values and behavior,
- Maximizing interpersonal capacities and life skills,
- Promoting development in ethical decision making.
We're Gonna Change the World and Eriksen Enterprises
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for printable one sheet on Workplace Transformation
Click here for printable one sheet on Family Transformation
Dr. Karen Eriksen’s passion has always been transforming lives so as to make a difference in the world.
- Currently, she transforms organizations from the top down, helping leaders and managers to develop the tools necessary to stimulate change and innovation and to create healthy and fully functional organizations in which employees can optimally work and create. Her current work builds on:
- 22 years of missionary and counseling work, helping individuals and families to transform themselves spiritually, emotionally, and behaviorally.
- 25 years of supervising, teaching, and developing courses, programs, and training experiences that would transform group and classroom experiences for graduate students who were aiming to become expert professionals
- 15 years as a nationally known presenter and leader (15 years)
Her gift is triggering the energy of group processes in which participants create solutions that are more and bigger and better than they could create on their own. Her courses, trainings, and talks have been very well received, and she has obtained top evaluations from participants.
Karen’s company, the Eriksen Institute, offers corporate training and consultation, course design, continuing education, and public speaking on topics that help organizations to operate optimally, which includes triggering systems that enable employees to function optimally. Optimal organizations begin with decisions about centering values and with infusing those values throughout the company. Company leaders then need the tools to act on those values, including communication and conflict resolution skills, ethical decision making skills, and skills in developing ethical compliance procedures.
Karen also serves as a trainer and course designer for Hemsley Frasier/Booz Allen Hamilton in a large federal government organization’s transformation initiatives. The courses she facilitates assist individuals and teams to use creative and innovative problem solving and change management strategies to transform organizations.
Karen is a well-published author, having written nine books and an ethics and life skills curriculum, 38 peer-reviewed articles, and 6 book chapters related to interpersonal skills and functioning, adult development, ethical development, spirituality, diagnosis, counselor competence, and diversity. She also developed a television talk show “To Your Health” that quickly became a favorite on public television.
(available in hard copy, electronically, and some audiobooks)
- Transform Your Work: A Guide to Success Done Right
- Transform Your Family: A Parent’s Guide to Preparing Children for Success
- Transform Your Family: Leadership Package (includes leadership guide and materials)
- Beyond the DSM Story: Challenges, Quandaries, and Solutions
- Teaching Strategies for Constructivist and Developmental Counselor Education
- Teaching Counselors and Therapists: Constructivist and Developmental Course Design
- Preparing Counselors and Therapists: Creating Constructivist and Developmental Programs
- Making an Impact: A Handbook on Counselor Advocacy.
Dr. Eriksen has served on editorial boards of professional association journals, and as the editor for professional association newsletters. She has written and published 20 professional journal articles and 12 book chapters.
- 1993-1997 Ph.D. in Adult Education, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
- 1986-1987 Extern Program in Family Therapy, Mary Ann Walter's Family Therapy Practice Center, Washington, DC
- 1982-1983 Doctoral Program in Psychology, United States International University, San Diego, CA
- 1979-1981 M.S. in Psychology, California State University, Fullerton, CA
- 1975-1979 B.A. in Psychology, Pacific Christian College, Fullerton, CA
Dr. Eriksen has served in leadership at the local, state, and national levels in the following organizations:
- Character Council of Palm Beach County
- Boca Raton’s Promise
- South County Character Coalition
- South County Mental Health Coalition
- Palm Beach County Mental Health Counselors Association
- American Counseling Association
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors
- Virginia Association of Clinical Counselors
- Virginia Association of Marriage and Family Counselors
- Western Association of Counselor Educators and Supervisors
- Northern Virginia Association of Clinical Counselors
Dr. Eriksen has conducted over 50 presentations or workshops on spirituality and ethics, gender, multicultural issues, diagnosis, advocacy, counselor preparation, and adult development at local, state, and national conferences affiliated with these organizations. She has received awards and honors from these organizations for her research, teaching, presentations, and publication. Her areas of specialization are family therapy, addictions, sexual abuse, spirituality, counselor education, supervision, counselor advocacy, constructive development, and multiculturalism.
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Florida
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Virginia
- Licensed Marriage and Family Counselor, Virginia
- National Certified Counselor
- Clinical Member AAMFT
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor